Key Features of New Approach
* River basin will be the unit of planning and management. This is an internationally accepted strategy for integrated management of rivers.
* Accordingly, a new institutional mechanism in the form of National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) will spearhead river conservation
efforts at the national level. Implementation will be by the State Agencies and Urban Local Bodies
* The new strategy will take into account the competing demands on water and will seek t ensure minimum ecological flows. STPs minimise the
pollution load up to discharge standard of BOD of 30mg/litre requiring dilution to achieve river water quality of 3mg/ litre.
* The minimum ecological flows or the entire Ganga will be determined through modelling exercises. NGRBA
* will take appropriate measures to regulate water abstraction for maintaining ecological flows in the river.
Functions of NGRBA
* The NGRBA would be responsible for addressing the problem of pollution in Ganga in a holistic and comprehensive manner. This will
include water quality, minimum ecological flows, sustainable access and other issues relevant to river ecology and management.
* The NGRBA will not only be regulatory body but will also have developmental role in terms of planning & monitoring of the river
conservation activities and ensuring that necessary resources are available.
* The NRGBA would work for maintaining the water quality of the river Ganga uptoacceptable standards. The pollution abetment activities
will be taken through the existing implementation mechanisms in the State and also through special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs0 at the pollution hotspots.
* The NGRBA will ensure minimum ecological flow in the Ganga by regulating water abstraction and by promoting water storage projects.
* The NGRBA will plan and monitor programmes for cleaning of Ganga and its tributaries. To being with, it will concentrate on Ganga main stream.
* The NGRBA would draw upon professional expertise within and outside the Government for advice on techno-economic issues.
* The technical and administrative support to NGRBA shall be provided by the Ministry of Environment & for advice on techno-economic issues.
* The technical and administrative support to NGRBA shall be provided by the Ministry of Environment & Forests.