Indian rail budget 2016-17
From increase in senior citizen quota to braille enabled train wagons,
here are the key highlights of the Railway Budget 2016.
Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu presented the Railway Budget 2016 on Thursday.,
Feb 25, 2016. He unveiled pillars of strategy that would reflect the new thought process for the railways.
Highlights of Indian rail budget 2016-17
-"This is a budget which reflects the aspirations of each and every
member of the Railway's family", said Prabhu, who presented his second
budget in the Parliament.
Prabhu asserted that this Rail Budget reflects the aspiration of the
common people. "This is inspired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi's vision to make railways the backbone of India's progress and economic
development", he added.
Restructure, reorganize and rejuvenate are 3Rs which is the pillar of
Railway Budget, said Prabhu. He further said co-operation, collaboration and communication are the
hallmarks of Indian Railways journey forward. This Rail Budget will play a key role in the country's rejuvenation,
said Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
*Here are the key highlights of the Railway Budget 2016:*
1. Railways to get Rs 40,000 crore budgetary support from the government.
2. There will be no hike in passenger fares this year.
3. All the unmanned level crossings will be eliminated by 2020.
4. 17,000 bio≠toilets and additional toilets in 475 stations to be installed in order to promote Swachh Bharat Mission.
5. Quota for senior citizens for lower berths in each coach to be increased by 50% thereby adding nearly 120 lower berths per train for then.
6. 33% reservation to women in reserved quota in Railways will be introduced.
7. Wi-≠Fi to be installed in 100 stations this year and 400 stations
next year, in partnership with Google.
8. All the major stations to be brought under CCTV surveillance.
9. IRCTC to manage catering service. Local cuisine of choice will be
available for passengers. Reservation for backward classes ≠ SC and ST
and women in catering.
10. Cleaning of toilets by requests through SMS. Disabled enabled toilet
in 11 Class-A stations this year.
11. Capacity of e-≠ticketing system to be enhanced from 2,000
tickets/min to 7,200/min.
12. Deen Dayal coaches to be added for long distance trains for unreserved passengers. These coaches will provide potable water and
higher number of mobile charging points.
13. GPS-≠based digital display in coaches for showing upcoming stations.
14. Ticket cancellation facility to be provided through helpline number 139.
15. Bar≠-coded tickets to be available on pilot basis which will tackle
menace of ticketless travel.
16. Menu for their children, baby food, baby boards to be made available
for ease travelling of mothers.
17. 1,780 automatic ticket vending machines to be added to railway stations.
18. Braille enabled train wagons to be implemented for specially abled
19. 1,600 km of electrification this year and 2,000 km proposed for the
20. India's first railway auto hub in Chennai to be launched soon.
21. More dedicated freight corridors to accommodate the increased demand
in freight transport.
22. High≠end technology for safety will be implemented.
23. Three direct services - fully air-conditioned Humsafer to travel at
130-km per hour.
24. E-booking of tickets on concessional passes for journalists introduced.
25. Ajmer, Amritsar, Gaya, Mathura, Nanded, Nashik, Puri, Tirupati,
Varanasi, Nagapattinam and other pilgrim stations to be beautified.
26. Porters not to be called 'coolies' but be called 'sahayaks' now; will be trained in soft skills.
27. Aastha Circuit Trains to connect important Pilgrim Centers.
28. Propose to invite FM radio stations to provide train borne entertainment via PA systems.
*New projects to be implemented this year:*
1. Overnight double-decker train Uday Express to be introduced on busiest routes, carrying capacity to be 40 per cent more, says Prabhu.
2. North≠east India, especially Mizoram and Manipur to be connected though broad gauge.
3. Special purpose vehicle for the Ahmedabad-≠Mumbai high speed corridor
registered this month.
4. Broad Gauge Lumding≠-Silchar section in Assam, connecting Barak Valley with rest of country.